Friday, January 18, 2008

From The Inside Looking Out

Pleasantville (1998):
David: I know you miss her, I mean, you told me you did. But maybe it's not just the cooking or the cleaning that you miss. Maybe it's something else. Maybe you can't even describe it. Maybe you only know it when it's gone. Maybe it's like there's a whole piece of you that's missing, too. Look at her, Dad. Doesn't she look pretty like that? Doesn't she look just as beautiful as the first time you met her? Do you really want her back the way she was? Doesn't she look wonderful? Now, don't you wish you could tell her that?

Bill Johnson: It's just... where am I going to see colors like that?

Big Bob: [bangs the gavel] You're out of order!
David: Why am I out of order?
[approaches Big Bob]
Big Bob: Because I'm not gonna let you turn this courtroom into a circus!
David: Well, I don't think it's a circus, and I don't think they do, either.
[David turns to look at the crowd, where many of the black-and-white people are changing into color. There are gasps and murmurs. Jennifer grins]
Big Bob: [bangs the gavel] This behavior must stop at once.
David: But see? That's just the point! It can't stop at once, because it's in you, and you can't stop something that's inside you.
Big Bob: It is not inside *me*!
David: [amused] Oh, sure it is.
Big Bob: No, it is not!
David: [Leans forward and speaks confidentially with a mischievous grin] What do you want to do to me right now? Come on. Everyone is turning colors. Kids are making out in the street. No one is getting their dinner.
[Raises his voice for all to hear]
David: Hell, you could have a flood any minute! Pretty soon, the women could be going off to work, while the men stayed at home and cooked!
Big Bob: That is not going to happen!
David: [with defiant delight] But it *could* happen!
Big Bob: [enraged] *No, it could not!*
[Big Bob suddenly turns pink, and David grins victoriously]

Maltshop Guy: What's outside of Pleasantville?
David: Oh, it doesn't matter.
Margaret Henderson: What's outside of Pleasantville?
[pause]
David: There are some places that the road doesn't go in a circle. There are some places where the road keeps going.
Margaret Henderson: Keeps going?
David: Yeah, yeah. It just keeps going. It all keeps going.

George Parker: What happened? One minute, everything's fine... What went wrong?
David: Nothing went wrong. People change.
George Parker: People change?
David: Yeah, people change.
George Parker: Can they change back?
David: [grins] I don't know. I think it's harder.

The Truman Show (1998)
Christof: We accept the reality of the world with which we are presented.

[Truman attempts to leave his town and a convoy of cars pulls in front of him to block his exit]
Truman Burbank: Blocked at every turn. Beautifully synchronized, don't you agree?
Meryl: You're blaming me for the traffic?
Truman Burbank: Should I?
Meryl: Truman, let's go home.
Truman Burbank: You're right. We could be stuck here for hours. It could be like this all the way to Atlantic City. Let's go back. I'm sorry. I don't know what got into me.
Meryl: Truman, can you slow down?
Truman Burbank: Yes, I can.
Meryl: Truman. Truman, that's our turnoff.
Truman Burbank: I changed my mind. What's New Orleans like this time of year? Mardi Gras, woooooo! Ha ha ha ha ha! Hoo hoo hoo! Whoooohoo! Look, Meryl! Same road, no cars. It's magic! Hahaha!
Meryl: You let me out, Truman. You're not right in the head. You want to destroy yourself you do it on your own.
Truman Burbank: I think I'd like a little company.

Truman Burbank: Somebody help me, I'm being spontaneous!

Truman Burbank: Was anything real?
Christof: You were real. That's what made you so good to watch...

Christof: If his was more than just a vague ambition, if he was absolutely determined to discover the truth, there's no way we could prevent him.

Christof: We've become bored with watching actors give us phony emotions. We are tired of pyrotechnics and special effects. While the world he inhabits is, in some respects, counterfeit, there's nothing fake about Truman himself. No scripts, no cue cards. It isn't always Shakespeare, but it's genuine. It's a life.

Christof: I know you better than you know yourself.
Truman: You never had a camera in my head!


I heard this really dope track by paramore called Misery Business and as soon as I got that kick ass music vibe in me I thought, you know who'd really like this song. That's how I know the storm is clearing it ain't totally gone, fucking feelings dictate so much of words and actions, this right here, perfect example, but it's a good feeling, which I want to drive me more than the bad. That's me, and my needs, I need to take a good feeling and ride it like a killer wave and if that pipeline stretches 4 miles, so be it. I'll run with it. I'm not sure if u are even interested in surfing, maybe u'd prefer knee board those small ass little waves by the beach and there's nothing wrong with that. Knee boarding or body boarding is a much safer shorter ride. There's no shame in knee boarding. But if the time comes to take up a long board and try to harness the power of a 10 footer, u gotta know everyone wipes hardcore when they first get started. When you surf you can go surfing with someone but your the only one standing on that surf board when a gnarly wave comes and if your friend your surfing with is more experienced then you, you should really stay out of their way. You'll learn a lot by watching how they handle the wave as well. But it's still totally up to you and how your feeling about whether or not you wanna do that or you can believe you can do that.

There is a solid line between friendship and romance. That line is affection. I tested that line early on in my vacation it was a solid line. My friend is a friend. It bothers me that someone so persuasive is so easily influenced. At the end of my vacation that line was blurred. I need that line. I need it to be a solid black line or green line. When it becomes blurred, that is my cue to exit. I take light for inspiration from others and life all the time. I'm gonna try to make my own light from here on out cause taking others is dangerous. Don't get me wrong, I like trouble, but I like it because it creates climactic change, because it's cathartic metamorphasis of truth and growth. Some would say that's drama but I think drama is a battle of wants or desires instead of actual climactic change (learned that shit the hard way). Drama is created by a slew of verbal diahera, personality discrepencies, and baggage by all parties included and all it takes is a stage or confrontation to bring it alive. I'm strong enough to handle the winds of change and I need to grow mentally, physically, and spiritually for a better me, no other reason. I have honor, if your not sure what that means, look it up. I'm not going to lose that for anyone. In my opinion that's the best virtue I have, it encombuses a variety of elements that through out history I've admired. Mostly in leaders and martyr's. I'd rather be a leader than a martyr but my big fat honest mouth gets me in trouble and it might get me shot, who knows.

Todays movies I believe express proactiveness against hardcore opposition. First off Pleasantville completely exemplifies contrast in it's deepest roots. I love it. Change in a truly supersaturated rainbow of color. This life is totally black and white with out emotions. That affection thing, often I feel the right and wrong get blurred from attraction. Blurring that black and white, right and wrong, into a greyish mess of whatever seriously seriously affects the color of everything. So the charachters start changing from black and white into color when they're true to themselves and ride that feeling, so much that even anger drives a charachter to change. Or the mother for example whose starts wearing white make up and clothes to hide the change of color and emotion inside her cause she knows that change makes her a target for hate. Yeah we're pushing on to the 23rd century and people still fear and hate what's different. Sometimes I really wonder if people could step out of themselves for a moment, especially when it comes to their children. Can't you seriously ask yourself well what did I think about this life that I've lived do I want to bring up my kids in it? If not or if u could change stuff why aren't u moven on that. Why isn't that message promoted as much as let's saY propaganda to keep that kinda black and white systematic control of gender roles, how one lives there life, and that subtle prejudice of difference. Someones really gonna have to stand up and say something profound, it might be me, I hate oppression.

Now for the fakest of the fake. Could you imagine living Truman's life. It really makes you wonder how your experiences dictate who you'll become and what you'll do. The Truman show would so have 4 or 5 more seasons if Truman didn't wanna break free of his prison and travel. That prison in pleasantville as well is control. How many ways do we try to control our environment, or job, the people we "love", it's some deep shit. We got remote controls, cars that no one else has a right to drive the way they want while we are driving the way we want. There's signs, directions, protocal, and mis-information, all trying to get us to move in the same way, a kind of herding, like get along little doggies and do what everyone is doing. I liked Truman more than the conventional battles of this control like the matrix, even though I loves the matrix so much, but I'll come back to it guarenteed. Truman's struggle is within himself just as much as it's "the world that's blind folded us from the truth" that you are a slave neo, born into bondage.... silly silly blog writer... later. Contrast of control verses spontinaity is different in the truman show, it's different in truman himself, could you imagine the paranoia of this world being completely fake and all your friends and family being in actuality there to take what they wanted from u. Fucking scary. I'd wanna run to Fiji too. I sorta do anyway. What I loved about the change in Truman is when the creator and us the audience see truman's moved into the basement sleeping, u think he's accepted that he's being controlled and instead he totally F'en disappears. When they find him the creator challenges him with death. That my friends is a challenge I have yet to be faced with and a challenge like that would definitely expose true color and worth of an individual.

"Never underestimate the power of denial"

"Do you know why law school is so long and such a bitch? Cause it takes long study to grasp how to say the right thing to the right people at the right time. What's the right thing? It's a message that tears it all down and lays a seed for how it will be from here on out. Change, real undeniable change."

"Passion is important to have and express with injustices not inadequacies"

“In order to have true friendship you must look past the color to the soul, because within the soul lies a rainbow of many colors.”

“Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm, but to add color to my sunset sky.”

“The soul becomes dyed with the color of its thoughts.”

“The only faith that wears well and holds its color in all weathers, is that which is woven of conviction and set with the sharp mordant of experience”

No comments: