Friday, October 10, 2008

I'll tell you in another life, when we are both cats

Gattaca (1997)
Vincent: There's no gene for fate.

Vincent: He had everything except desire

Vincent: I was never more certain of how far away I was from my goal than when I was standing right beside it

Vincent: They used to say that a child conceived in love has a greater chance of happiness. They don't say that anymore

Vincent: [narrating] I belonged to a new underclass, no longer determined by social status or the color of your skin. No, we now have discrimination down to a science.

Jerome: I got the better end of the deal. I only lent you my body - you lent me your dream

Vincent: Is the only way you can succeed is to see me fail?

Vincent: You are the authority on what is not possible, aren't you Irene? They've got you looking for any flaw, that after a while that's all you see. For what it's worth, I'm here to tell you that it is possible. It is possible.

Vincent: A year is a long time.
Irene: Not so long. Just once around the sun.

Title Card: "Consider God's handiwork; who can straighten what He hath made crooked?" - Ecclesiastes 7:13

Vanilla Sky (2001)
Sofía: I'll tell you in another life, when we are both cats.

David: Do you remember what you told me once? That every passing minute is a another chance to turn it all around.
Sofía: I'll find you again.
David: I'll see you in another life... when we are both cats.

Brian: Just remember, the sweet is never as sweet without the sour, and I know the sour.

David: My dreams are a cruel joke. They taunt me. Even in my dreams I'm an idiot... who knows he's about to wake up to reality. If I could only avoid sleep. But I can't. I try to tell myself what to dream. I try to dream that I am flying. Something free. It never works...

Julie: Don't you know that when you sleep with someone, your body makes a promise whether you do or not.

David: See, I've got this little problem. I've got a stalker.
Sofía: It doesn't sound life threatening.
David: But I need a cover. I need for you to pretend we're having a scintillating conversation, and you are wildly entertained.
[Both laugh]
David: I know it's tough.
Sofía: I'll improvise.

David: Look at us. I'm frozen and you're dead, and I love you.
Sofía: It's a problem.
David: I lost you when I got in that car. I'm sorry.

Brian: You will never know the exquisite pain of the guy, who goes home alone.

David: My father wrote about this in his book. Chapter 1... Page 1... Paragraph 1: What is the answer to 99 out of 100 questions?... Money.

David: Doc, once you've been driven off a bridge at 80 miles an hour, somehow you don't invite happiness in without a full body search.

David: I want to live a real life... I don't want to dream any longer.

Sofía: Do you love me? I mean really love me. Because if you don't... I'll just have to kill you.

David: I like your life.
Sofía: Well, it's mine and you can't have it!

Edmund: There are no guarantees, but remember: Even in the future, the sweet is never as sweet without the sour.

Edmund: You were missed, David. It was Sofia who never fully recovered. It was she who some how knew you best... and like you, she never forgot that one night where true love seemed possible.


This morning I'd like to take a brief moment to talk about 2 topics. First off, rebirth. How much time does one need to spend in preverbial shadow and night before being reborn into a new reality of their own design. For the past 6 months I've lingered in darkness, perpetual night both literally and non-literal. I've slept all day and been awake all night. This morning I woke up at 6 am and walked to the beach and greeted the day with kisses of sunlight caressing my eyelids awake. In the program I've been Auditing (Friends of Bill) they talk often about how people with this affliction hold onto resentment indefinately unless they're honest with A. It's origins, and B. the nature in which it affects you, specifically. This morning I felt like a phoenix rising from the ashes. There are possibilities. No longer do I need to hold onto things and feverish thoughts that have held me down. If I want to make another film, I need a script that sells itself which will take some tweeking on scripts I've done but it's do-able. I start school again in January and I've been trying to figure out what position is more of a settled down career like teaching or business, law, or banking. But there's still plenty of fight left to do something harder then follow the group. Just because I'm surrounded by this standardized life like settle into a stable career, get married, and buy stuff doesn't mean that I have to follow suit.

The struggle is important. The second topic I wanted to discuss is destiny. Are we pre-destined. Is what we become imprinted on our DNA before we even get started doing. I ask this because my father around this time in his life 29, still had about a year left of school and was thinking what job he should be doing to marry my mother and settle down. I'm left pondering often if I can follow suit and if I want to. And I don't. I'd like to be more, do more, help more. While in hibernation I've noticed things getting more and more closed. I had to privatize my myspace and facebook cause the new way of shutting down a prospective employee is looking at how much scandalus stuff they have on there page. How much failure does it take to callit quits and the correct answer is there is never enough failure. Sometimes you win and sometimes you learn. This morning I'm willing to be taught. My clay has still not hardened.

Today's gonna be a great day, don't ask me how I know. Somehow I just know which is a great F'en feeling. I think I've had enough of the sour to appreciate the sweet. The resentment and bitterness has been around long enough for me to stop thinking "once you've been driven off a bridge at 80 miles an hour, somehow you don't invite happiness in without a full body search". It's time to just let it in.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I loved both movies bro. The writing in Vanilla Sky was incredible the way it was shot, loved it

Robert D. Lennox said...

very interesting post.this is my first time visit here.i found so mmany interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion..thanks for the post! buy dvd criminal minds season 13

Jessica Schweizer said...

Excellent information on your blog, thank you for taking the time to share with us. Amazing insight you have on this, it's nice to find a website that details so much information about different artists. buy dvd the expanse season 2