Thursday, July 24, 2008

Kill The Batman

Batman (1989)

The Joker: Haven't you ever heard of the healing power of laughter?

The Joker: I have given a name to my pain, and it is Batman.

Knox: You know what they say? They say he can't be killed. They say he drinks blood. They say...
Eckhardt: I say... you're full of shit, Knox. Oh, uh, you can quote me on that.

Vicki Vale: You're insane!
Joker: I thought I was a Pisces!

The Joker: The pen, is truly mightier than the sword!

Dist. Atty. Harvey Dent: We've received a letter from Batman this morning. 'Please inform the citizens of Gotham that Gotham City has earned a rest from crime. But if the forces of evil should rise again, to cast a shadow on the heart of the city, call me.'
Alexander Knox: Question. How do we call him?
Commissioner Jim Gordon: He gave us a signal.

Vicki Vale: [distracting Joker] Mr. Joker, you say such beautiful things. Oh, you're so powerful. And purple! Oh, I love purple.
Batman: Excuse me.
[Joker looks]
Batman: Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?

The Joker: Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

The Joker: Gotham City. Always brings a smile to my face.

Vicki Vale: A lot of people think you're as dangerous as the Joker.
Batman: He's psychotic.
Vicki Vale: Some people say the same thing about you.
Batman: What people?
Vicki Vale: Well, I mean, let's face it. You're not exactly normal, are you?
Batman: It's not exactly a normal world, is it?

Batman: You killed my parents.
The Joker: What? What? What are you talking about?
Batman: I made you, you made me first.
The Joker: Hey, bat-brain, I mean, I was a kid when I killed your parents. I mean, I say "I made you" you gotta say "you made me." I mean, how childish can you get?

The Joker: Joker here.
TV Technician: We got interference. Call the OB unit, will ya?
The Joker: Now you fellas have said some pretty mean things. Some of which *were* true under that fiend, Boss Grissom. He *was* a thief, and a terrorist. On the other hand he had a tremendous singing voice. He's dead now, and he's left me in charge. Now, I can be theatrical, and maybe even a little rough - but one thing I am not, is a *killer*. I am an artist. I *love* a good party. So, truce. Commence au festival!

Joker: I now do what other people only dream. I make art until someone dies. See? I am the world's first fully functioning homicidal artist.

The Dark Knight (2008)

Bruce Wayne: I knew the mob wouldn't go down without a fight. But this is different. They crossed the line.
Alfred Pennyworth: You crossed the line first, sir. You squeezed them, you hammered them. And in their desperation they turned to a man they didn't fully understand.

Gotham National Bank Manager: The criminals in this town used to believe in things. Honor. Respect. Look at you! What do you believe in? What do you believe in!
The Joker: I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger.

Mayor: [regarding The Joker] What do we got?
Lt. James Gordon: Nothing. No DNA, no fingerprints. Clothing is custom, no tags or brand labels. No name, no other alias. Nothing in his pockets but knives and lint.

Bruce Wayne: People are dying, Alfred. What would you have me do?
Alfred Pennyworth: Endure, Master Wayne. Take it. He'll hate you for it. But that's the point of Batman, he can be the outcast. He can make the choice that no one else can make, the righteous.
Bruce Wayne: Well today I found out what Batman can't do. He can't endure this. Today you finally get to say "I told you so."
Alfred Pennyworth: Today, sir, I don't want to.
[pauses for several moments]
Alfred Pennyworth: But I did bloody tell you.

The Joker: [to Batman] Come on, I want you do it, I want you to do it. Come on, hit me. *Hit me!*

rvey Dent: You're Alfred, right?
Alfred Pennyworth: That's right, sir.
Harvey Dent: You've known Rachel her entire life.
Alfred Pennyworth: Well, not yet.
[chuckles]
Alfred Pennyworth: [small pause]
Harvey Dent: Any psychotic ex-boyfriends I should be aware of?
Alfred Pennyworth: Oh, you have no idea!

e Joker: Where do we begin? A year ago, these cops and lawyers wouldn't dare cross any of you. I mean, what happened? Did your - did your balls drop off? Hmm?

Two-Face: The only justice in an unfair world is chance.

The Joker: The only sensible way to live in this world is without rules!

The Joker: See, I'm not a monster...I'm just ahead of the curve.

The Joker: [speaking to Harvey] Do I really look like a man with a plan, Harvey? I don't have a plan. The mob has plans, the cops have plans. You know what I am, Harvey? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one. I just *do* things. I'm a wrench in the gears. I *hate* plans. Yours, theirs, everyone's. Maroni has plans. Gordon has plans. Schemers trying to control their worlds. I am not a schemer. I show schemers how pathetic their attempts to control things really are. So when I say that what happened to you and your girlfriend wasn't personal, you know I'M telling the truth.
[hands Dent a gun]
The Joker: It's a schemer who put you where you are. You were a schemer. You had plans. Look where it got you. I just did what I do best-I took your plan and turned it on itself. Look what I have done to this city with a few drums of gas and a couple bullets. Nobody panics when the expected people get killed. Nobody panics when things go according to plan, even if the plans are horrifying. If I tell the press that tomorrow a gangbanger will get shot, or a truckload of soldiers will get blown up, nobody panics. But when I say one little old mayor will die, everyone loses their minds! Introduce a little anarchy, you upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos. I am an agent of chaos. And you know the thing about chaos, Harvey? It's fair.

The Joker: If you're good at something, never do it for free.

The Joker: You look nervous. Is it the scars? You want to know how I got them? Come here. Hey, look at me. So I had a wife, beautiful; like you. Who tells me, I worry too much. Who tells me, I ought to smile more. Who gambles, and gets in deep with sharks. One day they carve her face. We have no money for surgeries. She can't take it! I just want to see her smile again. I just want her to know that I don't care about the scars. So I stick a razor in my mouth and do this... to myself. And you know what? She can't stand the sight of me! She leaves. Now I see the funny side. Now I'm always smiling!
The Joker: [Rachel kicks the Joker away] A little fight in you. I like that.
Batman: Then you're going to love me.


The Joker: [Holding a knife inside Gamble's mouth] Do you want to know how I got these scars? My father was...a drinker...and a fiend. One night he goes off crazier than usual, and Mommy picks up a kitchen knife to defend herself. Well, Daddy doesn't like that. Not. One. Bit. So, me watching, he takes the knife and slices her up, laughing as he does it. And then he looks at me standing there, and says, "Why...so...serious?" And as he's walking over to me: "Why...so...serious?" And then he puts the knife in my mouth, like this, and says, "Let's put a *smile* on that face!"

The Joker: You just couldn't let me go could you? This is what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object. You truly are incorruptible aren't you? You won't kill me out of some misplaced sense of self-righteousness, and I won't kill you, because you're just too much fun. I think you and I are destined to do this forever.
Batman: You'll be in a padded cell forever.
The Joker: Maybe we can share one. Then we'll be doubling up the rate this city's inhabitants are losing their minds.


Batman: Sometimes, truth isn't good enough, sometimes people deserve more. Sometimes people deserve to have their faith rewarded.

Batman: Why do you wanna kill me?
The Joker: Kill you? I don't wanna kill you... you complete me.

I say a lot about contrast. I sit and think about it often, why people say one thing and all to often mean the exact opposite. I saw the dark knight at midnight a week ago. The first film in the longest time that I waited one hour in a line and another hour in the cineama before it came on. The advertising was seriously unreal. For a solid year I have been looking forward to this movie. I think the last movie that I went to the midnight show was Matrix revolutions and that movie fell slightly short of the expectations, so did the two towers. But the dark knight was on the money. Even if Heath didn't die the contrast is noteably. They are getting better in hollywood in that department. I know I've been sayinbg contrast all this time but what I should be saying is balence.

Balence, though not exactly a concise study more religious or buddist is so important."you just couldn't let me go could you? This is what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object. You truly are incorruptible aren't you? You won't kill me out of some misplaced sense of self-righteousness, and I won't kill you, because you're just too much fun. I think you and I are destined to do this forever." Is similiar to the matrix's pin of agent smith and neo. This is what us in the business (philosophy) call balence. This philosophy put into film isn't easy. With the lines of the original batman, which at the time and there after I loved, the idea that the joker was that batmans nemisis is doubtful. Like I don't believe it. It could be cause christian bale's batman is so modernlikely correct. That's a mouthful. The joker as well. The joker even more so I think, and I'm trying to separate feelings that I have for heath, which is hard cause he's our generation A-list talent, but more. There are a lot of A-list actors that my generation relates to, or likes but doesn't dismantle the way I think a true movie buff does.

I say true movie buff, cause in my opinion they're aren't that many of us. Especially now, and as the years catch up with us we will be replaced by better movie buffs then us. But as for right now we, movie buffs have our likes and dislikes but still have critical thinking to anchor us to what is good and what's not good. The Dark Knight and Batman begins stomps the old versions. The Val Kilmer and George clooney batmans are laughable, I'm sure reading this you who know know, they were BS marketing ploys, but the first two with michael Keaton and Tim Burton had a darkness and subtle motivation of the dark Knight. However that subtlity is trumped completely by the new installments. Completely without a doubt.

I say this because Batman, Two face, and the joker are grounded in believiable motivation. Believiable charachter driven plot. If you saw this film, movie buffs, action was the marketing, but the main reason it hasn't gotten bad critisizm is because it's charachter driven which is an indie movie thing, it's not an action movie thing. Charachter driven! It's important to highlight that. I saw Hancock the other night with my brother. As we were sitting in the movie theater he said tell me the synapsis of the dark knight cause he wasn't going to see it, he's hella busy, so I tried. And by this time I had seen it twice, and still, still had a hard time telling him the plot.

Why is that? I'd say it was because the trenches of charachter developement are so engrained in the story, the lines, and the motivation, that even after seeing it twice what exactly was going on elludes me a bit. I think I'd have to sit down with the DVD, remote in hand, a sheet of legal pad, and break that bitch down scene by scene of what was being said, done, and percieved, what the soundtrack, camera movement and guidelines told. All of it, is worth watching again, and again, and again. I say this because it's rare. I watch movies all the time and am rarely moved (with exception to love stories cause those are like my disertation or something). Anyway's contrast and balence is extremely hard to grab a handle on. It could very well just be me, but that mirror, some dark, some light, isn't ever what you think, and if capable, which I'm admitting in this moment that I'm not, at least not yet, is extremely hard to harness, but if capable, if balenced enought to see both at once and tell the story with the full force of both extremes, the impact of that message (really F'en complex) is completely worth it.

No comments: