Tuesday, July 8, 2008

It's just like... singing, with your body. A place where there are no happily ever afters

Enchanted (2007)
Nathaniel: My most adored queen, where did you send her?
Queen Narissa: To a place where there are no happily ever afters.

Giselle: [singing] How does she know...
Robert: Awe, no, no, no.
Giselle: You love her? / How does she know...
Robert: People l-look-looking.
Giselle: She's yours?
Robert: [interrupting] Don't sing. It's OK, you know. Let's just walk. Can we walk?
Giselle: [speaks] Well, does she?
Robert: Yeah.

Prince Edward: [threatening Robert with his sword] Have you any last words before I dispatch you?
Robert: You have got to be kidding me!
Prince Edward: Strange words!

Prince Edward: [holds sword in front of construction worker's neck, trying to find Giselle] I seek a beautiful girl. My life partner, my one coquette, the answer to my love's duet.
Arty: [stuttering] I-I'd like to find one of them too, you know?

Giselle: Is that the only word you know? "No?"
Robert: No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no. I mean, No!
Giselle: "No! No! No!" Over and over! When you keep saying "No!" it just makes me so... Sometimes you make me so!... angry.
[laughs really hard]

Morgan Philip: Remember, when you go out not to put too much makeup otherwise the boys will get the wrong idea and you know how they are...
[off Giselle's wide-eyed look]
Morgan Philip: They're only after one thing.
Giselle: What's that?
Morgan Philip: [laughs] I don't know. Nobody will tell me.

Robert: [struggling to break free of her grasp] You're crazy!
Queen Narissa: No. Spiteful, vindictive, *very large*, but never crazy.

Nathaniel: [talking on the phone while in a taxi cab] No, uh... I've always treated her like a queen, but... lately I'm starting to feel there's this whole other side to her, like I... I don't even know her anymore.
Radio Therapist: [over the radio] I think you need to take her aside and find out how she really feels about you.
Queen Narissa: [peeks in through open taxi cab window] Hello, Worthless. Miss me?

Giselle: Why are you staring at me?
Robert: I don't know. It's just that... it's like you escaped from a Hallmark card or something.
Giselle: Is that a bad thing?

Robert: [tries to stop Nancy from leaving] What... what about taking Morgan to school, you know, for some grown-up girl bonding time?
Nancy Tremaine: What, so you can have some grown-up girl bonding time?
Nancy Tremaine: [glares pointedly at Giselle]
Nancy Tremaine: I don't think so.

Giselle: Is this a habit of yours? Falling off of stuff?
Robert: Only when you're there to catch me.

Giselle: [after leaving the shower] Good morning, Robert. I hope you had wonderful dreams.
Robert Philip: I think I'm still in one.

Nathaniel: Sire, do you like yourself?
Prince Edward: What's not to like?

Giselle: Nobody has been very nice to me.
Robert: Yeah, well, welcome to New York.
Giselle: Thank you.

Phoebe Banks: Everybody has problems. Everybody has bad times. Do we sacrifice all the good times because of them?
Phoebe Banks, Ethan Banks: [looking into one another's eyes] No.

Robert: So, what's the deal with this prince of yours? How long you been together?
Giselle: [wistfully] Oh, about a day.
Robert: You mean it feels like a day because you're so in love.
Giselle: No, it's been a day.
Robert: You're kidding me. A day? One day?
Giselle: Yes.
[wistful again]
Giselle: And tomorrow it will be two days.
Robert: You're joking.
Giselle: No. I'm not.
Robert: Yeah, you are.
Giselle: But I'm not.
Robert: You're gonna marry somebody after a day? Because you fell in love with him?
Giselle: Yes.
[grins]
Giselle: Yes!
Robert: [laughs as she drags him away]

------------------------------- ------------------------------- ------------------
Giselle: What about you? How long have you known your Nancy?
Robert: Uh, five years.
Giselle: And you haven't proposed?
Robert: Well, no, I...
Giselle: Well no wonder she's angry.
Robert: Well...

Morgan Philip: But I think she might be a real princess!
Robert Philip: Morgan honey, just because she has on a funny dress doesn't mean she's a princess. She's a seriously confused woman who's fallen into our laps.

Happy Feet (2006)
Ramón: Just a moment. I hear people wanting something... ME!

Ramón: Kiss my frozen tushy! Kiss it, kiss it!

Lovelace: Ladies, please avert your eyes... 'cause I've been known to hypnotize.

Ramón: We got personality, with a capital Y. Why? Because we're hot!

Norma Jean: [singing] You don't have to be beautiful/ to turn me on.

------------------------------- ------------------------------- ------------------
Norma Jean: You don't have to be beautiful, to turn me on. I just need your body, baby.
Male Penguin #1: Hello...
Norma Jean: From dusk 'til dawn.
Male Penguin #1: Is it me you're lookin' for?
Norma Jean: You don't need experience.
Male Penguin #2: Take...
Norma Jean: To turn me out.
Male Penguin #2: These broken wings.
Norma Jean: You just leave it all up to me.
Male Penguin #3: Let's talk about eggs, baby. Let's talk about you and me.
Norma Jean: Mm-mm, mm-mm. You don't have to be rich to be my pearl. Don't have to be cool to rule my world. Ain't no particular song I'm more compatible with. I just want your...
[turns to the huge crowd of males following her]
Norma Jean: Boys, boys! Give a chick a chance!
Memphis: [appearing on the crest of a hill] Well, since my baby left me I found a new place to dwell. It's down at the end of Lonely Street at Heartbreak Hotel. And I said, I'm feelin' so lonely, baby. I'm feelin' so lonely.
Norma Jean, Memphis: I'm feelin' so lonely...
Norma Jean: ...I could die.
Memphis: You don't have to be rich to be my girl.
Norma Jean: Don't have to be cool to rule my world.
Memphis: You rule my world.
Norma Jean: You're the particular song I'm compatible with.
Memphis: I just want your...
Norma Jean, Memphis: ...extra time... and your kiss.

Lovelace: I must retire now to my couch of perpetual indulgence.

Mumble: It's just like... singing, with your body.

I started reading this book. "How To Be An Adult in Relationships". My cousin recommended it back in Christmas and it was sitting here from then till I returned from Europe. If I had it then I probably wouldn't have read it. But of late I'm vastly interested in learning, growing, and teaching myself to make myself happy. I'm only on the first chapter but it says that meditation is key. Just with doing something as simple as montoring your own breathing the distractions of the past disappear. Just focus on you, your breathing and your environment, and things from your past or thoughts or emotions that are limiting your own happiness will disappear. The Power of Mindfulness "meditation is not a means of forgetting the ego; it is a method of using the ego to observe and tame it's own manifestations." - Mark Epstein.

With that said there is a manifestation that has stayed with me as long as I can remember. This manifestation is directly related to the two films discussed in today's blog. I really loved "Enchanted". First real Disney Disney like movie I've seen in quite sometime and it did in a lot of ways what Shrek did to Disney Movies. It played off our pre-conceptions of romance and happy endings. I know someone who can finish my duet. And in a lot of ways she is a fantasy. I've never met in her is person but can count on her the most. Everytime we speak the hope and belief that we were meant to be is conveyed. There is no one I can compare that to. I don't think most people would wanna even take that on. I haven't be able to not wear my heart on my sleeve like this with everyone, believing the best in people.

I've thought forever I need inspiration, acceptance, compassion. I've thought other people are the only true conveyers of these. Today and now I think it is all in me. If I can ward off my feelings towards things, games, rhetoric, the past, if I can see them for what they are, then maybe anything is possible. Especially forgiveness. Me included.At one point gizelle says is no the only word you know. And in a subtle way makes you think how impossible so many things that we may think that are fantastical are actually in fact improbable instead.

On one hand I'm excepting my fate and saying I don't need anyone again but on the other hand I think the direction I'm moving in presently is present. Like now, with some self assessment I think I can see what is at hand at what exactly is old baggage that has no business in now. I think I can keep my hope, virtrue, and beliefs. Just stop expressing them so much and often I might add when I've expressed them it's been expressed as the opposite.
At one point in enchanted Nathaniel turns to prince edward and asks him does he love himself and he's like what's not to love. I've been holding on to things that are not to love. It's about time to let them go and push forward.

No comments: