Friday, May 9, 2008

The Evil.. She Comes... But She is not at the Castle Walls... She is within the clock and within you

Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005)

Senator Amidala: I'm not going to die in childbirth, Anakin. I promise you.
Anakin Skywalker: No, I promise you.

Obi-Wan Kenobi: [referring to Anakin] When is the last time you saw him?
Padmé: Yesterday.
Obi-Wan Kenobi: Do you know where he is now?
Padmé: No.
Obi-Wan Kenobi: Padmé, I need your help. He is in grave danger.
Padmé: From the Sith?
Obi-Wan Kenobi: ...From himself. Padmé, Anakin has turned to the Dark Side.
Padmé: You're wrong! How could you even SAY that?
Obi-Wan Kenobi: I have seen a security hologram... of him... killing Younglings.
Padmé: No! Not Anakin! He couldn't...
Obi-Wan Kenobi: He was decieved by a lie; we all were. It appears that the Chancellor is behind everything, including the war! After the death of Count Dooku, Anakin became his new apprentice.
Padmé: [She pauses for a moment, speechless] ... I don't believe you. I can't...
Obi-Wan Kenobi: Padmé, I must find him.
Padmé: You're going to kill him, aren't you?
Obi-Wan Kenobi: [Obi-Wan pauses for a moment] He has become a very great threat.
Obi-Wan Kenobi: [He gets off of the couch, walking towards his ship] Anakin is the father, isn't he?
Obi-Wan Kenobi: [Padmé doesn't know what to say] I'm so sorry.

Padmé: [Padme exits her ship and runs towards Anakin] I was so worried about you! Obi-Wan... told me terrible things!
Anakin Skywalker: What things?
Padmé: He said... you turned to the Dark Side. That you... killed Younglings!
Anakin Skywalker: Obi-Wan is trying to turn you against me.
Padmé: He cares about us.
Anakin Skywalker: Us?
Padmé: ...He knows. He wants to help you.
[Anakin smirks]
Padmé: Anakin, all I want is your love.
Anakin Skywalker: Love won't save you, Padme! Only my new powers can do that!
Padmé: At what cost? You're a good person; don't do this!
Anakin Skywalker: I won't lose you the way I lost my mother. I am becoming more powerful than any Jedi has ever dreamed of, and I'm doing it for you: to protect you.
Padmé: Come away with me... help me raise our child; leave everything else behind while we still can!
Anakin Skywalker: Don't you see? We don't have to run away anymore! I am more powerful than the Chancellor, I... I can overthrow him! And together, you and I can rule the galaxy! Make things the way we want them to be!
[smiles]
Padmé: ...I don't believe what I'm hearing... Obi-Wan was right... you've changed!
Anakin Skywalker: [with an angry look and voice] I don't want to hear any more about Obi-Wan. The Jedi turned against me; don't you turn against me?
Padmé: [crying] Anakin, you're breaking my heart! And you're going down a path I cannot follow!
Anakin Skywalker: Because of Obi-Wan?
Padmé: Because of what you've done... what you plan to do! Stop! Stop now; come back... I love you!
Anakin Skywalker: [Anakin sees Obi-Wan standing at the ship's exit]
[shouting]
Anakin Skywalker: Liar!
Anakin Skywalker: You're with him! You brought him here to kill me!
Padmé: No!
Anakin Skywalker: [uses Force Grip on Padme]
Obi-Wan Kenobi: Let her go, Anakin!
Padmé: [barely breathing] Anakin...
Obi-Wan Kenobi: Let. Her. Go.
Anakin Skywalker: [Anakin releases Padme, as she falls unconscious] You turned her against me!

Darth Sidious: [Vader's new mechanical body arises from the steam... ] Lord Vader... can you hear me?
Darth Vader: Yes, Master.
Darth Vader: [Vader looks at Sidious] ... Where is Padme? Is she safe? Is she all right?
Darth Sidious: It seems in your anger, you killed her.
Darth Vader: I...? I couldn't have! She was alive; I felt it!
[Vader growls, and his Dark Side strength crushes everything around him in the room. He frees himself from the metal stretcher, and steps off. Palpatine has a smirk on his face]
Darth Vader: Nooooooooooooooooooo!

Anakin Skywalker: I feel lost.
Padmé: Lost?
Anakin Skywalker: Obi-Wan and the Council don't trust me.
Padmé: They trust you with their lives.
Anakin Skywalker: Something's happening. I'm not the Jedi I should be. I want more. And I know I shouldn't.

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)

Sam: [Both are overcome by exhaustion] Do you remember the Shire, Mr. Frodo? It'll be spring soon. And the orchards will be in blossom. And the birds will be nesting in the hazel thicket. And they'll be sowing the summer barley in the lower fields... and eating the first of the strawberries with cream. Do you remember the taste of strawberries?
Frodo: No, Sam. I can't recall the taste of food... nor the sound of water... nor the touch of grass. I'm... naked in the dark, with nothing, no veil... between me... and the wheel of fire! I can see him... with my waking eyes!
Sam: Then let us be rid of it... once and for all! Come on, Mr. Frodo. I can't carry it for you... but I can carry you!

Sam: I don't think there will be a return journey, Mr. Frodo.

Aragorn: Let the lord of the Black Land come forth! Let justice be done upon him!
The Mouth of Sauron: My master, Sauron the Great, bids thee welcome. Is there any in this rabble with authority to treat with me?
Gandalf: We do not come to treat with Sauron, faithless and accursed. Tell your master this: the armies of Mordor must disband. He is to depart these lands, never to return.
The Mouth of Sauron: Ahh, old grey beard. I have a token I was bidden to show thee.
[Pulls out Frodo's mithril vest and throws it at them]
Pippin: [whispers] Frodo...
Gandalf: Silence.
Merry: No!
Gandalf: Silence!
The Mouth of Sauron: The halfling was dear to thee, I see. Know that he suffered greatly at the hands of his host. Who knew that one so small could endure so much pain? And he did, Gandalf, he did.
[pause; Aragorn rides towards the Mouth of Sauron]
The Mouth of Sauron: And who is this? Isildur's heir? It takes more to make a king that a broken elvish blade...
[Aragorn cuts off the Mouth of Sauron's head with one stroke of Anduril]
Gimli: I guess that concludes negotiations.
Aragorn: [to Gandalf] I do not believe it! I will not!

Eowyn: The city has fallen silent. There is no warmth left in the sun.
Faramir: [approaching her] It is only the damp of the first spring rain.
[Eowyn looks up at him]
Faramir: I do not believe this darkness will endure.

Aragorn: I do not fear death.

Aragorn: I summon you to fulfill your oath.
King of the Dead: None but the king of Gondor may command me.
[Swings sword; Aragorn blocks him with the sword Anduril]
King of the Dead: That blade was broken!
[Aragorn takes him by the throat]
Aragorn: It has been remade.
[Aragorn releases the King of the Dead; pause]
Aragorn: Fight for us... and regain your honor.

Sam: It must be getting near tea-time, leastways in decent places where there *is* still tea-time.
Gollum: We're not *in* decent places.

Aragorn: Hold your ground, hold your ground! Sons of Gondor, of Rohan, my brothers! I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of woes and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you *stand, Men of the West!*

Theoden: I have left instruction. The people are to follow your rule in my stead. Take up my seat in the Golden Hall. Long may you defend Edoras if the battle goes ill.
Eowyn: What other duty would you have me do?
Theoden: Duty? No... I would have you smile again, not grieve for those whose time has come. You shall live to see these days renewed. No more despair.

Pippin: Is there any hope, Gandalf, for Frodo and Sam?
Gandalf: There never was much hope. Just a fool's hope.

Theoden: I know your face... Eowyn. My eyes darken.
Eowyn: No. No. I'm going to save you.
Theoden: You already did... Eowyn. My body is broken. You have to let me go. I go to my fathers, in whose mighty company I shall not now feel ashamed. Eowyn...

Gandalf: The board is set... the pieces are moving

Theoden: I take my leave.
Aragorn: My lord Elrond.
Elrond: I come on behalf of one whom I love. Arwen is dying. She will not long survive the evil that now spreads from Mordor. The light of the Evenstar is failing. As Sauron's power grows, her strength wanes. Arwen's life is now tied to the fate of the Ring. The Shadow is upon us, Aragorn. The end has come.
Aragorn: It will not be our end but his.

Aragorn: The Beacons of Minas Tirith! The Beacons are lit! Gondor calls for aid.
Theoden: And Rohan will answer. Muster the Rohirrim. Assemble the army at Dunharrow. As many men as can be found. You have two days. On the third, we ride for Gondor and war.

I think true greatness, a message of long lasting struggles to overcome evil is perhaps the most honorable of undertakings. Recently I have begun my own trilogy. And even though these stories are epic in nature and mine seems much more dramatic. The plot points are note worthy especially at the final third of these trilogies. Have they countinued with the message they were trying to convey. Star wars Revenge of the Sith and the entire plotline base is similiar in one facet. I'm building off old stories that have been done before. The first star wars trilogy is similiar in that sense that when we saw the new trilogy we carried with us the stories of the first. So much that we really desired what made Darth Vader the cold black villian he was and by the third episode in the final moments and throughout the picture, this concept of the darkside of the force and how it emboddies our fears, jealousy, and control. Brilliant in my opinion. It plays out so stealthly in anikin. From the beginning to the end. How his fear and shame and insecurities turn to anger and loss of control. It seriously makes you ponder and look within. Whereas Yoda and the Jedi council believe in balance. I recently saw premonition with Sandra Bullock. Setting up a well plotted premonition so that your charachter executes his or her destiny by trying to do all in their power to avoid it. Incredible! Where as if they just accepted their fate it might not have happened. In the last 4 scenes of star wars revenge of the sith it's not even about the dialogue anymore. You see just Anikin in his hood totally and completely consumed within himself, totally twisted inside with what he must do or with what he's thinking. And when the chancellor puts the vader suit on him and he asks if padame is ok and the chancellar's like no she's dead and it's your fault she's dead. You can imagine how that guilt and torment will carry through Vader and how he'd take it out on everyone else, similiarly as he did in Clone wars with the sand people that took his mother. Dudes got some crazy anger inside him. A perfectly well told story of how to build a villain's motivation.

The thingy peeps that's notable is not that Evil is worth fighting. Evil will always be worth fighting. But putting a face on evil and expressing it not just as an intangible force but giving it charachter. Giving it motivations and wants and desires that are or could be reasonable. Either creating which is what I'm trying to do myself in my trilogy or literally watching as an audience member. What it might take to change someone or something from good to evil. As my research on duality countinues and most likely will countinue indefinitely, this transfermation is key. I think because from the outside looking in you or us can see the mistakes that were made and we say it to ourselves as we are watching but in the charachter they don't see it. They keep missing it. I know this myself. I can recall many mistakes I've made that I didn't see what it was that I was doing because I was so twisted with wanting to save something that perhaps I needed to let go and let it take it's course regardless of me or my efforts. I'm reminded of one thing I did, which I'll take this moment to share. Jealousy is a monster. It creeps into your heart and your mind and makes things extremely twisted. At one point last year I let go of all my rationality and independance. I was consumed by jealousy. I didn't know what to do with it or myself. Caught me completely off guard. I created a fake profile on myspace just to flirt with myself. Probably the most diabolical lie that I've ever concocted. I had changed. The goodness of love and caring had entangled my insides and made me think that I needed to somehow give the same jealousy back. Looking back now, I ponder what the hell was I thinking. And how could I give into a "darkside" when here I am single and fairly balanced and clear headed. But that is the point I'm trying to make. When your in it, your not going to see yourself as the villain. When your in it, your your own hero, doing whatever it takes to get what you most desire.

As for return of the King and the quest to toss the ring of power into Mount doom. This Epic novel and film trilogy was symbolic of I think World War 2, it might have been one, I can't quite remember. I think it had to be 2 because the industry was so vast. And the rise of the war machine of Nazi Germany and an arms race, it had to be 2. ANyways... little tangent there. The good verses evil in the lord of the rings trilogy is a mixture of different things. You have the ring of power which in a lot of ways is symbolic not only of power but of say smoking. It's an addictive little band of gold. So addictive that anyone that has other power whether it be the wizard or elves or Kings, that they know if they have one drag or wear of the thing they'll change immediately. It's seductive like that. At the very beginning it quickly takes hold of smeagal (gollum). Who even though he looks more humanesk but his demeanor still sorta shows that his charachter is easily swayed. He's not portrayed as a 100% creature of honor or maybe that's just my take. I think the real greatness of lord of the rings is the gradual change in Frodo. And the premise that these hobbits being of a fun loving weed smoking nature can endure great pain, influence, and still keep their good nature.

In watching these 2 trilogies again I feel as if I have a better understanding of motivation. And essentially what I am setting forth to do is not so much say good verses evil in the epic nature of these films but within what I've found in ancient greek theater. Philos-aphilos which means love-in-hate. In ancient greek theater similiar to shakespeare the charachters become perplexed with the evil that is emboddied in their family members. This evil being part of their family members symbolically is part of themselves and in executing these family members, rationally they attempt to murder the evil within themselves. I'm sure that sounds irrational. It sounded irrational when I was trying to wrap my brain around it and the countless scholastic esseys I've been reading. Past addressing duality, which I attempted before in Five Houses, and constantly think about in general, I think it is seriously most of the time an outside looking in verses inside looking out. Here's my premise. Your character whether that be you or the imaginary fictional being you've created, when that person is attractive personality wise, honorable by image and speech, and physically beautiful as well, confident, independant, when he/she sets their sights on something, it's the methods that get them there that border "evil". In their minds as stakes get heightened (and those stakes could very well be their soul or ethics) when they get these choices of either remaining at a stand still or changing. This is a test of their motivation. Truly motivated people will say "the means justify the ends" and I'm beginning to gain clarity on which changes in oneself or choices we make are or could be seen as choices or changes that are irreversable. Like you have reached the point of no return. Essentially time has been my enemy, as it is yours as well, for time motivates change and choice without warning which makes all this possible.

No comments: